candystore

candystore

April 10, 2012

Library reflections for student led conferences




Here is a selection of Library reflections for PYP Portfolios and student led conferences. Great insights. Enjoy!

Grade 1
In Library grade 1 students made a booklet working as authors/illustrators.

“My book is about Leo, the Library Mouse. I drew the pictures and wrote the words. I liked both of these activities. I am proud because I had hard time making this book. At the end I was so glad because this was the first book I have ever made. I like to read. I read every day. I like chapter books and mysteries.” Ugne

“I like this book. I like the text and the drawings. I like the birthday going on. It has a picture of a book in it. I liked writing the text – being an author. The author of this book is me, Vilja. I also like that the book is not just text, black and white. It is a children’s book.” Vilja

Grade 2
In Grade 2 Library class we learned what makes a book fiction or nonfiction, how are fiction/nonfiction books organized in the library, and how to find a book of interest from the shelves? Students received a specific call number for a book to find. They retrieved the book with that call number from the shelf and recorded the basic book info on their worksheets.

“A book is fiction because it is fake (not real). A book is nonfiction because it is real. Call numbers are the numbers/letters on the book. The call number on the book Really Cool Reptiles is E 597 MCC. That book was real. Finding the book was a little bit hard. It was harder than I thought. Library is really fun. Usually I find interesting books. My favorite book so far is Calvin and Hobbs.” Amelia

“I love books and my mum calls me a book worm. I can normally read books in one go. My favourite author is Roald Dahl. My favourite book he has written is “The Witches”. I like the book but don’t read it before bed because I get shivers. I love reading at the bottom of my bunk bed when the cat sits with me.” Amelie on her reading habits

Grade 34
"During the Library classes we have learned about bibliography and how to choose just right books.
We learned that you need bibliography for instance when you take pictures from the Internet, you copy the URL address and paste it to your paper.
Then we learned about how to choose just right books. There was one rule we learned - “The Five Finger Rule”. It goes like that; you put your five fingers up and when one hard word comes that you don’t know you put one finger down. When you have at least five hard words on one page that book is too hard for you. When the book has really few pages and it has really easy baby words then that book is too easy. Book that is just right has enough pages and has normal words you can understand. I think I show the attitude of Creativity." Henry

"In Library class I learned how to find a book that is just right. There are strategies to find the just right book like the Five Finger rule, the Thumbs Up rule, and some more.
We also learned how to use the Library Online Catalogue. You can use the online catalogue to search for a book you want to check out next, and you can see all the information about that book.
Me, and Henry made a poster about how to choose the just right book. If you have a book that is long, you read the first page only, and if you have a word you don’t understand, you put one finger down. If you end up with 5,4, or 3 fingers up, it is too easy, if you end up with 2,1 fingers down it is just right, if all fingers are down, it is too hard. I showed cooperation when me, and Henry made the poster about how to choose the just right book." Jonas

Grade 5
Unit on online databases: a database gives access to a large amount of verified information stored in a computer system. Students conducted a mini research, related to their UOI using online databases available at the Library, located, read through, presented and recorded the source information.

"An online database is a place where you can get information, for example World Book. You can use them when you have to reassure. But you’re never allowed to copy from the site. It’s good because you can get to it at home and school. Many people use Wikipedia but that should be your last decision. All databases are online. You can find articles, videos, image from a database. All databases are checked by people before anyone can use these. I looked up things about Justinian Code, and the good thing about that was that I studied it in class at the same time. I like library because you always learn new things." Hannah

Unit on Works Cited/Plagiarism: a Works Cited is an alphabetical list of the source you used in your project. When you do a research project you must give credit to the sources from which you found the material you used in your project. Students created MLA citation for a book and website using Easybib (http://www.easybib.com/) online citations creator.

"In Library we learned about plagiarism. Plagiarism is when a person uses information from somewhere and doesn’t cite it. We also talked about what can happen if you don’t cite your sources. We went to a website called Easybib on the Internet and there we looked at how to cite books and websites. We had to fill in some information about the sources, like what is the author’s name, the title, the date it was made etc. Then after filling that information the website made a citation using all the information we put in. I learned that you should always add your resources when you use information from a book or a website or anywhere else. But I also learned how to cite a resource the proper way! I think I am an Inquirer because I asked quite a lot of questions and then learned more." Anjali

No comments:

Post a Comment